Guidelines and essential elements for a graphic project that talks about your brand and helps your business. Whether it’s a blog, a coordinated graphic or a social page, any project that includes a digital realization must be packaged with impressive graphics. Graphics play one of the leading roles in web projects, and their value is a determining factor in the project’s success. Taking a site as an example, the graphics even determine its positioning on the search results.
This is because it affects the user’s experience and, therefore, global traffic, increasing it and improving the search engine’s positioning. Graphics, however, is a particular sector that provides a training and study path. So, to have excellent graphic design, the advice is to contact a graphic designer with experience in the sector. But knowing this more closely can be very helpful in making the best choice for your business. So let’s see some rules to follow to create a practical graphic project.
What Are The Characteristics Of Good Graphic Design?
To begin with, let’s start with some guidelines to follow when designing the project. Once these principles are clear, you can move on to the details. In this first design phase, you have to rely on ideas, and the statements have to feed on four main qualities.
- It seems like a pretty obvious concept: a project must be consistent with the brand, the people with the project, advertising with style, etc.
- It is clear to everyone, yet the error is more frequent than one thinks.
- Consistency means two things: professionalism and trust.
- This allows us to offer the public a clear and decisive message and keep the concept in every expression of the product.
- When faced with a linear proposal, the customer will think of dealing with a professional and will also feel more confident in establishing a business relationship.
- Also, don’t forget that consistent graphic design is also beautiful. In short, the eye always wants its part.
- Make something simple. The graphics are simple, almost minimalism in a certain sense.
- It is the careful choice of a few elements that convey a message.
- Without too many pretensions, being simple makes you elegant, impactful, and people like you.
- It’s okay to be consistent and straightforward but not get boring.
- This is one of the most significant graphics difficulties: creating something new and of significant impact with just a few elements.
- We need to think differently and break the mold, not too much, however, not to be eccentric and consequently limit the target audience.
- Dare but with taste.
- Finally, please take a peek at modern trends, evaluate which elements are interesting, let yourself be inspired and use them to express freshness and innovation. You don’t have to be stylish in the strict sense of the term; you can also revisit, like vintage does, for example.
- That is to find a style that works and adapt it to the contemporary.
- Once these guidelines have been drawn, we can look at the details.
- We want to tell you about the most important areas of graphic design.
What Are The Rules For Graphic Design?
Imagine you are a graphic designer. You are facing a new project; how do you move? To create a graphic work, you have to deal with different macro-areas, each of which has specific rules, sub-categories and other principles of application within it. Ready? Let’s take a curious look into this world of colors, shapes and fonts.
Color is an essential element, but it can be not easy to spot. Just try to think of all the shades proposed by the Pantone catalog. How to extricate yourself? To help you choose the color sample of interest, you could evaluate the psychological aspect of the color: for example, blue is a color that conveys calm, yellow joy, red love but also excitement and incites to ‘purchase. Pay attention, however, to the shades; a deep yellow has a different meaning from a dull yellow.
Especially consider the niche of interest: if you target children, you can use more colors, bright or pastel shades. If you target an adult audience of women or men, you can narrow the choice to a few shades and then choose the ones that are right for you. Whatever your preference, you have to follow a fundamental rule about color: use complementary colors. Otherwise, the final effect is likely to be an eyesore.
- Graphics are also layout, geometry, and order. Don’t put elements in bulk; follow a pattern and repeat it.
- A good help for this is the grids.
- This is the load-bearing structure that supports the entire graphic project.
- The grids allow you to distribute the layout elements by dividing the design space into vertical and horizontal lines.
- If well organized, they help in terms of usability, facilitating reading and facilitating the project’s development on multiple devices in the development phase.
- No, we’re not talking about texts, that’s true, but graphics should also be read.
- What does it mean? Which must express certain concepts and ideas which everyone must understand.
- A suggestion? Make sure to insert elements with a visual hierarchy so that the user’s eye can follow them just like text.
- It gives a face to the text, its titles and paragraphs.
- In other words, don’t spill a bunch of lines at random, but organize them properly.
- Bold headings, division by paragraphs, spaces between the various texts and take care of all these aspects to make the text more pleasing to the eye and more readable.
- The font you choose says a lot about your brand’s personality.
- Whether you choose a more articulate font or a more linear one, always make sure that it is not excessive and readable.
- Your goal is to attract attention and understand yourself, not confuse ideas or create difficulties even just for reading a title.
- Another tip is not to use too many different fonts.
- In the same project, two, maximum of three fonts are more than enough. Besides, you risk only confusion.
- The presence of photos, infographics, and perhaps even graphics, in short, of images and visual elements in general, is essential.
- It is always better to create the ad hoc for the project.
- If this is not possible for you, or if you choose not to follow this path, image banks are an excellent resource for still having quality and compelling visuals, perhaps sacrificing a little originality.
- Even if left blank, the spaces are fundamental for the overall composition of the project.
- Please do not fill the area with a thousand elements at all costs; use only the main ones you want to draw attention to; the rest you can also leave free; it will be functional for reading.
- We’ve come to the end of this general roundup of graphics.
- You are ready to set up your project, preferably with a graphic designer’s help.
Before starting work, ask yourself 3 questions:
- Who am I? Summarize in a few concepts what represents you.
- What should I say? Find a message to convey.
- Who do I tell? Select the niche of people you target.
In addition to clearing your mind about the choices you will make, they will be handy for allowing your graphic designer to hit the target.